A fan remake of Rescue on Fractalus,
a classic game developed by Lucasfilm Games
originally released on Atari, Commodore 64 and other platforms in 1984.
This remake is still in development so many features are yet to be implemented.
Got any thoughts, comments, feedback or ideas? Let me know on Twitter or Facebook!
0.8.0 alpha - 2018-03-25
- Rewrote Fractalus using Unity engine.
- Real-time shadows and lighting and various other graphics enhancements from Unity engine.
- Improved planet entry/exit sequence.
- Improved auto-pilot control during landing/launch sequence.
- Improved world dust.
- Improved cockpit viewscreen rendering.
- Added launch tunnel model.
- Menus can now be navigated with mouse.
0.7.1 alpha - 2015-08-24
- Fixed some bugs that were causing Fractalus to crash on start, exit, and joystick map define.
0.7.0 alpha - 2015-08-03
- Added cockpit, cockpit instrument panel models and textures.
- Added cockpit mesh, rotates slightly depending on ship turn motions.
- Added artificial horizon instrument.
- Added compass cockpit panel.
- Added wing clearance cockpit panel.
- Added HUD mode option, can be set to 0.5, 0.6 or 0.7.
- Added option to toggle cockpit model in 0.7 mode.
- Added option to toggle cockpit motion in 0.7 mode.
- Added named indicators to cockpit HUD on left side.
- Cockpit instruments turn red momentarily when ship is damaged.
- Added ship impact sound when colliding with terrain.
- Added ship damaged by laser sound.
- Engine sound now changes in pitch based on velocity.
- Saucer alert noise is no longer a constant droning noise.
- Saucers now have a deep humming engine noise when they get close.
- Defaulted graphics settings to HD terrain and Dust enabled.
- Fixed texture repeat frequency on high-detail terrain.
- Starfield on title screen now slowly rotates.
- Stars now rotate along with sun.
- Highlighted menu entry now has subtle pulse.
- Fixed saucers occasionally appearing black.
- Joystick Support
- Implemented joystick controls for all game functions.
- Implemented joystick support for menus.
- Added joystick control mapping options.
- Added joystick haptic feedback.
- Smoothed terrain map slightly.
- Severely reduced terrain collision damage.
- Saucers now do 300 damage upon collision instead of 2500.
- Saucer collision now results in a much smaller alteration of player flight vector.
- Saucers will now ignore player if systems are off (regardless of whether player is landed).
- Saucers now move 37.5% slower, allowing the player to outrun them.
- Saucers now spawn slightly less frequently.
- Saucer behaviour slightly improved, will not follow you into deep trenches.
- Increased turret target lock and firing range.
- Updated Fractalus to compile under GCC 4.8.2.
- Fractalus now uses SDL 2.0 instead of SDL 1.2.
0.6.0 alpha - 2012-02-19
- Terrain is no longer quite so steep.
- HUD redesign;
- Added wing clearance bars.
- Added enemy lock-on meter.
- Added dangerous altitude meter.
- New layout - More accurate to the original HUD.
- Options have been added;
- Inverted Y for controls is now optional.
- Optional dust clouds in game (experimental).
- Optional higher resolution terrain (experimental).
- Ship now auto-levels while flying.
- Returning to mothership now aligns your ship correctly before boosting.
- Turrets now use beam weapons instead of bolt weapons.
- Turrets can now lock on to you to get a more accurate shot.
- Turrets no longer attempt to fire through terrain.
- Turrets now only spawn on high points on the terrain.
- Targetting scope/viewscreen now has a constrained FOV like the original.
- Added flying saucers that appear in the distance, chase you and attempt to crash into your ship.
- Camera jitter added, for extra impact with explosions.
0.5.0 alpha - 2010-08-18
'Rescue on Fractalus', 'Fractalus', 'J'hagga Ri Kachatki', and 'Behind Jaggi Lines' are trademarks of LucasArts.