Fractalus 1.1.0 released!

Luke

Fractalus 1.1.0 released!

Post by Luke » 2023-May-12 19:15

Fractalus 1.1.0 is now available for download from the Fractalus project page.

See blog post at https://www.lsdwa.com/blog/2023/05/12/f ... -released/ for more information.

Let me know any thoughts, comments or feedback.

Enjoy!
Luke's Software and Design
http://www.lsdwa.com

Loafmeister

Re: Fractalus 1.1.0 released!

Post by Loafmeister » 2023-May-13 00:02

Awesome! Will try on the weekend. Thanks!!

Loafmeister

Post by Loafmeister » 2023-May-19 07:56

Hi Luke,

Got a quick chance to try it on desktop, so no VR yet. Looks great, haven't directly looked out for all the improvements as of yet but I could tell the pilot's feeble knocking as I waited longer.

One reason why I haven't had much chance was because I couldn't seem to get my multi monitor 3 screen setup working again like I did years ago. The difference is back then I used an ATI/AMD card while now I use an nvidia in this PC (980). Just posting this here in case others come across the same issue: the solution is that you can't just set windows to extend to other screens, you also have to set the physx "span displays with surround" option. Once I did, the necessary resolutions worked fine. Bonus: with the current nvidia 980, full 3 screens at 5760 x 1080 worked fine, super smooth on ultra.

Finally I did make it to level 9 and what do you know? After almost 40 friggin years, I still almost crapped my pants. The new audio works well with the attack. If I have nightmares tonight, I'm blaming you!

For future versions, could be a good idea to add some cracks to the windshield so that subsequent attacks shorten the amount of hits you can take from the alien.

next comments will be after I try the VR version, see how it feels now.

Great job, people need to try the latest version, quite a great deal of spit n polish done here, I guess it's now near feature complete. I do hope you revisit this with some of the suggestions, if only to add a bit more playability and variety and even as is, man it's awesome to revisit the Fractalus world with modern tech. The old game is still a blast to play. thanks!

Urbinoo

Post by Urbinoo » 2024-Sep-05 15:30

Hi,
Just learned yesterday that an update was available, directly downloaded. Had not much time to play, but I can say saucers are fairly harder to shoot, as I kissed some with my ship :D
Great update, thank you Luke !
Since my last visit here, I now have a Quest 2, can't wait to try it in VR 😍 A standalone version would be awesome, I would pay for 😊
See you friends !

Urbinoo

Post by Urbinoo » 2024-Sep-10 20:50

Hello Luke,

"Returning to manual flight mode from a menu by pressing confirm button no longer fires the weapon as well."

Sorry, but it still fires when you are landed ;)

I tried VR version on a Quest 2, and it's very impressive, congrats !!
The cockpit is very crisp, immersion is great. But unfortunately, I felt a bit ill after 2 levels. My analysis is that it could come from mountains stuttering when you turn sharp (maybe Quest 2 related ?), also because the nose of the ship does not always aim to the direction. I understand that the ship follows the behaviour of the original game, but I think upgrading its flight pattern in a more "real" way could benefit to avoid illness.

Again, thank you for your wonderful work !

Loafmeister

Post by Loafmeister » 2024-Sep-12 12:17

Hi Urbinoo,

Are you playing in VR via wired or wireless via Virtual Desktop or other streamers? Are your PC specs more of the "top of the gaming" target or "I get by"?

Both scenarios can impact your frame rates which in turn can lead to nausea and sometimes, it doesn't take much to cause an imperfect frame rate which worsens the VR experience

Luke

Post by Luke » 2024-Sep-12 16:38

Hi Urbinoo,
Urbinoo wrote:
2024-Sep-10 20:50
"Returning to manual flight mode from a menu by pressing confirm button no longer fires the weapon as well."

Sorry, but it still fires when you are landed ;)
Thanks for letting me know, I'll add that to the list of things to check for the next build :)
Urbinoo wrote:
2024-Sep-10 20:50
I tried VR version on a Quest 2, and it's very impressive, congrats !!
The cockpit is very crisp, immersion is great. But unfortunately, I felt a bit ill after 2 levels. My analysis is that it could come from mountains stuttering when you turn sharp (maybe Quest 2 related ?), also because the nose of the ship does not always aim to the direction. I understand that the ship follows the behaviour of the original game, but I think upgrading its flight pattern in a more "real" way could benefit to avoid illness.
Thanks! I'm not sure why the mountains would be stuttering, they move smoothly in my tests. That could be a Quest 2 issue or it may be a graphics performance issue, what GPU are you running?

The nose of the ship not always aiming the direction of motion, especially while turning, might be due to the "Cockpit Motion" option that is enabled by default. This option causes the entire cockpit to rotate and move based on how you're turning, and this could be disorienting in VR. You can turn it off in Options | Graphics | Cockpit Motion.
Urbinoo wrote:
2024-Sep-05 15:30
Since my last visit here, I now have a Quest 2, can't wait to try it in VR 😍 A standalone version would be awesome
I've tried making a standalone version for Quest 2 but haven't had much luck so far, I think this may be because the version of Unity I'm using is too old and doesn't support newer XR libraries that might be needed to build a working standalone version.
Luke's Software and Design
http://www.lsdwa.com