Fractalus 0.5.0 alpha released

Luke

Fractalus 0.5.0 alpha released

Post by Luke » 2010-Aug-19 01:10

Fractalus 0.5.0 alpha build is now available for download from the Fractalus project page.

There is still a lot of work to be done, but I think this build is fairly playable. Let me know what you think.
Luke's Software and Design
http://www.lsdwa.com

Golden Gun

Re: Fractalus 0.5.0 alpha released

Post by Golden Gun » 2010-Oct-08 22:10

Tripped over your page thanks to google images ;)

Looks really good! I remember the original fondly (except when a fist came through my windshield) and look forward to trying out your updated version.

Thanks for doing this!

Golden Gun

PS- what kind of feedback are you looking for at this point of dev.?

Luke

Post by Luke » 2010-Oct-09 00:01

Hey, welcome to the site and thanks for the comments :)

At this point, the kind of feedback I'm looking for is mostly visuals and playability. There are things I know of that are yet to be implemented (aliens, saucers, encampments with targetted beams, etc.), and there are a few known issues that were listed in the readme with this release.

I'm also looking for optimisation techniques for the terrain as it doesn't run very well on low-end graphics hardware. Because I'm building this on my own custom graphics engine (OpenGL-based), I haven't yet optimised all of it. I'm also currently working on a new engine that I hope to eventually port Fractalus to.

Also any feedback on what I shouldn't change is good, as I'm not sure what's right and what's not for other players, and I've got plans to change a lot of things :)

Golden Gun

Post by Golden Gun » 2010-Nov-02 20:27

Hey Luke,

Played it some more and really like the layout. Talk about bringing back memories!

Now for feedback.

1) The major problem I have is after you land. I remembered that you could turn/manuver your ship until you powered down. As it plays now, if you land facing a mountain, you're a goner.

2) I'm playing on my laptop and it runs smooth. Laptop = crappy video card. It's the generic Intel chipset 99% of all laptops have, but escapes my mind right now. ;) I'll have to double check what resolution I'm running at and I'll get back to you.

3) SFX are right on, even down to the "bang-bang-bang" on the door. :)

blacksimkin

Post by blacksimkin » 2010-Nov-15 00:54

Greetings:

I recall playing this game when I was little, even when the alien scared the crap out of me - my first remembered nightmare -. You are doing a great job, I've expecting for someone to do this remake for ages.

A little feedback if it helps you.
- I've running this game on a Athlon x2 3800+ (or 3600+ I cant remember), geforce 9600GT video card, 2gb ram. And it plays smoothly.
- I never played the Commodore version, being myself an Atari person, the HUD, of the version I'm familiar with, didn't had a thermal vision screen (that screen its great....), instead it had an indicator that measures how much distance there is between you and the mountain closer at left or right, with a line.
- I second, GoldenGun, I too remembered that you can steer the ship when you landed.
- I know that it would be looking great, but I dont think that you should improve too much the terrain graphics (textuxe, ), 'cause being on an alien planet it should look kind of what it looks right now. (I could be wrong, of course).
- I remembered, that the axis of ship movement didnt invert up-down controls.
- About remakes and changing the nature of the game, I think that there not problem even if you change everything, if you keep and classic mode option, or a way to disable some of the differences.
- If I can suggest some ideas, it would be good having limited resources on ship, and that you could have to land near a empty ship to recover those resources (ammo, weaponry, energy, etc).

I expect having being helpful, believe me, with me there is al least 10 people looking forward your project. Good luck and thanks.

Mr. Simkin

PD:: Sorry for the rough english, it's not my mother language. I'm chilean.

Luke

Post by Luke » 2010-Dec-19 13:18

Thanks for the feedback!

@Golden Gun
I never noticed in the original that you could reposition the ship after landing. That's now on my list for the next build :)

I want to get Fractalus to run on Asus EEE 900 with the GMA900 graphics chip. It currently gets about 10-15fps, but I want to get at least 30fps as I've seen other terrain engines get that sort of performance on it.

The way I'm looking at it is that if I can get it to run smoothly on that chip, it should be able to run smoothly on anything :)

@blacksimkin
The thermal vision screen I implemented was an extension of what was in the original. I think the original would show the Jaggi turrets and flying saucers without the terrain. The HUD part that shows the distance to the mountains at your sides is something I've got planned for a future build.

I tried to get the terrain to look as reminiscent of the original as possible, while still looking decent for modern graphics hardware and the game scenario. Glad to see I've achieved that :)

The flight control inversion will eventually be an option.

If I do include new aspects of the game or changes to the gameplay or story, I'll definitely keep a classic mode available. It wouldn't be a remake if I didn't :)

strangeloop

Post by strangeloop » 2012-Apr-26 03:24

This is very cool. :o I have been waiting years for a remake so Luke you're a total legend!! If your taking suggestions then I'd love to see the following.

cockpit: I found the cockpit to be really atmospheric in the original commodore 64 game. Could you add this as a feature perhaps?

mouse look: It would be really nice if you could use the mouse to look around while flying.

I've loads of other ideas but I don't want to be too annoying.

thanks!

Luke

Post by Luke » 2012-Apr-26 09:33

@strangeloop

Thanks! And welcome to the forum :)

I am working on an image for the cockpit, haven't yet finalised a design though. I rearranged the positions of the HUD elements in 0.6 in preparation for a better looking cockpit in a future build.

Alternate control systems are also on the list to implement. There is crude support for mouse/joystick input in the code but it doesn't work very well yet.

I'm open to suggestions and feedback. For now, I want to keep the remake as true to the original as possible while being slightly modernised, but once it has all the features the original did, I want to expand it out further with new and different features (For example; story mode/campaign, custom ship builds/weapons, etc.), so I'd love to hear any suggestions you have :)

strangeloop

Post by strangeloop » 2012-Apr-27 05:33

Luke wrote:@strangeloop

Thanks! And welcome to the forum :)
I want to expand it out further with new and different features (For example; story mode/campaign, custom ship builds/weapons, etc.), so I'd love to hear any suggestions you have :)
Cheers Luke,
A campaign would be fantastic! Different weapons would also be awesome. If your taking suggestions then the way the cockpit showed systems damage in wing commander was nicely done. Being able to see all the rescue pilots in the back of the ship would also be cool.

Appreciate all the work you've put in so far :)